Sunday, February 5, 2012

Totem: Hummingbird ~**~**~**~


I will never forget the first time I saw a hummingbird land, I was half-convinced they never did so!  I knew then that I had a special connection to the little aviator.


Yesterday I woke up, had a glass of sparkling water and was looking out the window watching the birds.  Finches  and red-breasted robins swooped in the sunlight.  Out among them all, one tiny green hummingbird darted into sight and alighted on a branch.


There was my little bird :)  Bringing me a delicate smile and visions of a land that inhabits this world just beyond our mundane sight.  


This, combined with my dream of the Hummingbird King left me feeling the urge to recognize them by writing about the totem today.


Hummingbirds are the only birds that can fly backwards, full-stop in mid-flight and hover and move up and down.  They live on bugs and other tiny, protein bearing insects, and drink the sugary nectar from the flowers they pollinate in order to maintain their metabolism.  Their wings move in the pattern of the infinity symbol.


Here are some of the insights from other sources that I've discovered about the hummingbird:
--Hummingbirds represent Joy, Adaptability and Fierce Independence, Timelessness
--They are a symbol of accomplishing that which seems impossible
--"Joyas Voladoras" or "The Flying Jewel"
--They look to "what can be" rather than pining for "what was"
--Hummingbird has a special talent for working with flowers: growing, healing, aromatherapy
--They preserve the old ways and traditions
--The totem represents a high energy and spirit that must be free
--Helps to pull our awareness out of the mundane world so that we can see the beauty and wonder around us.
--Reminds us to be persistent in our dreams
--In dreams they symbolize the potential greatness in us, from our seemingly small ideas

No comments:

Post a Comment